Thursday 2 February 2012

The recipe.....



Hello dear friends
how is your week panning out?
 As promised here is the recipe
I mentioned on yesterday's post.


Caramelised Red Onion and Haloumi Tart
 
Serves 6 Serve with rocket drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
Ingredients
6 medium red onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 sprigs thyme
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
400 g puff pastry
haloumi cheese roughly sliced
1/4 cup pitted black olives
6 baby vine ripened tomatoes
Method
Halve and then finely slice onions and place in a saucepan
along with olive oil, butter, garlic and thyme.
Place over a medium heat and cook, stirring at times for
30-40 minutes until onion is very tender and becoming golden.
Add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to the pan and cook,
stirring, for a few minutes more.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
The onion mixture can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days.
Preheat oven to 200 C.

Roll pastry out into a large rectangle approximately 5 mm thick.
Cut pastry into 6 portions.
Place on a cool oven tray and fold the
edges over to form a 2 cm rim around the outside.
Spoon over the onion leaving the outer edge clear.
Top with thick haloumi slices, olives and whole tomato.
Black ground pepper and a little salt to taste.
Bake for 15 -20 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden.
Place onto individual serving plates.

Dress with a few leaves of rocket
drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar and oil.
Bonne appetite!


Thank you for popping in to see me
especially those of you who leave me
 a little comment - love you!

WELCOME

to my newest follower Mary
please click on Mary's name to take
Mary is a great storyteller and has just done a
wonderful post on her recent travels
in Vietnam!
Her photography is exceptional.

Thank you for joining my blog dear Mary!

Be kind to one another
love and hugs

Shane x


17 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely lovely. I'd never thought to add halloumi to a tart, but now it's going straight onto my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness Shane what marvelous sumptuousness!! All those gorgeous roses & cakes!! I rather like the lamington as a cone. Sounds like a delightful cafe....love the name : ) Much love Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. He descubierto tu blog y me ha encantado su contenido, si lo deseas te in vito a visitar mi blog y si es de tu agrado me gustaria tenerte como seguidora de mi blog y asi poder seguir en contacto. Un saludo muy cordial. Manoli

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm heading right on over for a taste!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my what a wonderful looking dish!

    I am hungry now!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good, I want to try making it soon!!

    Wonder if I can find the cheese???

    Have a great weekend, Shane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummm
    thank you for sharing that tantalizing recipe

    that kind of cheese is new to me...I will have to seek it out if available in our neck of the woods

    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I can taste it, Shane! I am printing this as we speak :)Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, yum, yum! A must try! Can you believe I've never, ever used puff pastry before. This definitely sounds doable. Have a super Saturday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious and i can almost smell it overhere.
    Have a nice weekend
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so good Shane, thanks for the recipe! xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks so delicious! thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now this is my kind of food! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Never purchased Haloumi to use at home but have seen it in specialty cheese depts. so I'm sure I can get it. Anything with caramelized red onions has to be delish!!!

    Thank you dear for the welcome as a Follower - I didn't realize I wasn't until now - slipped up there because I do want to keeping touch regularly. Your kind words about my photos and travel stories are so appreciated.

    Hope your weekend is going great. Thinking of you.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. O.k you have officially made me hungry with these food posts! LOL
    yum yum
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello dear Shane, I have just come home from holidays to thank you so much for your warmest invitation for a cup of tea! Here I am, freezing cold from the Winter in the Bavarian mountains. And I already feel so warm inside just looking at your gorgeous food photos! I need no cup of tea, I need a digestive, now. I am very happy you follow my blog because that's the way I found you! I find your blog very inspirative and I am happy to become your follower too! Greets, Manu

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Shane,

    The tart looks so good and many thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Hope that you had a lovely Waitangi day - do you know today is the very first day I have heard cicadas buzzing this summer and the sun is shinning brightly.

    Have a lovely week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tell me carmelized onions and I am reaching for the pen. It sounds to die for! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...